This Article is on How to fix Outlook data file cannot be accessed error? Outlook is an offline email client software that is best suited for business use as it allows faster email communication and easy email/task management. But along with better utilities comes a greater risk of data file error that is much prevalent in Outlook client programs.
It quite a common situation when you are facing data file access related problems in Outlook. The Outlook and the set of folders cannot be opened in a situation where data file (PST files) go corrupt. Hence whenever you are trying to send/receive emails, you may be encountered with “Outlook the set of folders cannot be opened” message. The error stands common in the newer versions of Outlook, i.e. Version 2010 and above.
This situation can be very annoying as it does not allow any communication between Outlook and your work is brought to a halt. Therefore to resolve your issue, the present article is on how to fix outlook data file cannot be accessed error in four easy ways. You may choose any of the four methods as per your convenience.
Common Reasons For Outlook Error 0x8004010f
The following issues cause the Outlook data file access error and interfere with sending/receiving emails.
- A corrupt PST data files and located at a wrong place.
- PST data file being moved to an inappropriate location.
- Upgrading the Outlook program version may corrupt the data file.
- Newly set Outlook profile may not be configured properly.
Popular Ways To Resolve Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed Error
Usually, it is often seen that the “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” error is caused due to a corrupt Outlook profile. The below-mentioned methods are precise to address the same situation in various ways. Hence let’s begin troubleshooting of Outlook data file access error.
Use Profile Method to create a new folder
The simplest way to rectify Outlook error 0x8004010f would be to use the existing Profile and create a new folder to send/receive emails. Follow the below steps:
- Using Start Menu or Desktop shortcut, Open Outlook as administrator by simply right-clicking on the icon and select “Open as administrator”.
- Proceed to Account settings from the Menu bar available on the top.
- Move the cursor to email tab and select the Outlook account with the error. Once selected, click on change folder option. A new dialog box is opened.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and select New Outlook data file to create a new data file.
- Give a name to the data file and click OK.
- Move the cursor to expand the folder and select Inbox folder.
- Click OK to close the New E-mail delivery location dialog box.
- Now you will land up in account settings dialog box. Again click on Change folder.
- Now select the correct data file as well as the desired folder and click OK.
- On the account settings dialog box, select and remove the temporary file with PST file extension from the folder.
- Now exit from the dialog box and verify the status of error by send/receive option.
If the error still persists, try other methods.
Find the default Outlook data file
This method is applicable to the latest versions of Outlook, i.e. version 2013 onwards.
- Open Control Panel from Start menu.
- Search Mail and other accounts and click on it,
- Select Show Profiles option from the Mail Setup dialog box.
- Proceed to select the properties option of the current outlook profile.
- Now select data files in the mail set up-Outlook dialog box.
- Note the name and location of the default data file of your profile.
- Click Close option.
Once you got the location of your data file, try linking it to a new folder and then verify if the error is resolved by using send/receive option.
Switch To a New Profile
This method may take time but it will definitely fix the “outlook data file cannot be accessed error”. Follow the below steps:
- Open Control panel using Start menu and select Mail option.
- Once the mail dialog box is opened, click on Show Profiles.
- Select Add to create a new profile. Delete the old profile once the new profile is created.
- Use Account auto set up option. Alternatively, type a new profile name in New Profile dialog box and click OK. Follow the on-screen instruction by entering email credentials and click Next.
- Once everything is configured well, click on Next to finish the process and restart Outlook.
- Your problem shall be resolved after your successful completion of all the above steps.
Once a new Outlook profile is created, it has to be made sure that the old profile is deleted to resolve the error completely. It is also to be made sure that the new location of data file is free from receiving old PST files.
Perform Manual setup of Outlook account
This method is similar in terms of principle from the above step but is different in means of achieving it. Here, you will have to create a POP3 email account manually. Note the following steps in given order:
- Open Control Panel from Start menu button.
- Once the mail set up outlook dialog box is open, click on the Show Profiles option.
- Move to the General tab and click on Add.
- This prompts to open a Profile dialog box. Here type a new profile name and proceed by clicking OK.
- On the Add new Account option dialog box, select “Manually configure server settings. To proceed further, click on Next.
- Choose service dialog box will be prompted in which select Internet E-mail. Click Next to proceed.
- In Internet email dialog box, enter your email account credentials to add.
- To verify, use Test Account settings.
- Move your cursor to existing Outlook data files in Account settings dialog box and click on Browse. Locate the previously located data file (existing account data file) and click OK. To proceed click Next.
- Verify again to test account settings.
- Complete the process by clicking Finish.
Advanced Method to Fix “Outlook the set of folders cannot be opened” Error
Once a new Outlook profile is created, it has to be made sure that the old profile is deleted to resolve the error completely. Make sure that the new location of data file is free from receiving old PST files.
The Major cause of “outlook data file cannot be accessed” error is Corrupt outlook profile. In extreme situations, Outlook errors may still persist even after following all the above fixes. In such cases, you should reinstall the client program. Go to Control Panel, then select Uninstall a program option. Select Outlook from the list of programs and click uninstall. Browse the internet and download Outlook compatible version from a trusted source such as File Hippo or Microsoft store and install the program again.