Ever felt the need to reset your MacBook to factory settings? Here’s a guide on how to reset MacBook Pro without losing data and wipe off all the data that is present.
Before We start the discussion of the actual process about How to Wipe a MacBook Pro, You need to have the knowledge of creating back up to save your important files and data. Make sure of all your data is safe and backed up. Factory resetting basically clears of everything in your MacBook and therefore makes sure you either sync your data to iCloud or copy it to any other external storage device.
Another way in which you could back up all your data in no time is by simply making use of the in-built software present in your MacBook Pro called as Time Machine. Make sure that you delete all the unnecessary files and data first before making use of this software. Once backed up, you can retrieve every single file through this software.
Things to Consider Before Factory Reset MacBook Pro
Some of the few things you need to take care of before proceeding with the actual factory reset procedure are as follows:
iTunes Should be Deauthorized
An important feature of iTunes is that it can authorize a maximum of up to 5 computers. Therefore, you need to make sure that your computer is not at all linked with your account on iTunes. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Once you open iTunes on your MacBook, click on the Account option in the menu bar.
- Under the option Authorization, click on deauthorize this computer.
- Type your password and your Apple ID and select deauthorize.
FileVault Should be Turned Off
FileVault encrypts your data to make sure that there is no unofficial access to your data present in your startup disk.
But in case you think of resetting your MacBook to factory settings you need to ensure that this is turned off.
Here is how you go about the procedure:
- Click on to the system preferences option in your Apple menu.
- Next, tap on security and privacy and press FileVault.
- Unlock it by clicking on the lock icon and enter all the details.
- Finally, select the option to turn off FileVault.
iCloud Should be Disabled
If you plan to reset Mac to factory settings make sure that you sign out from your iCloud so that there is no sign of any of your data that was previously present on it. In order to do this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, click on the system preferences which you will be able to find in the Apple menu.
- The next step is to select the iCloud option.
- Tap on to the sign-out option.
- You will get a small message asking you whether you want to erase all the data from your MacBook. Select to confirm it.
Don’t Forget to Sign Out From iMessage
When a mac user decides to reset MacBook Pro to factory settings, they need to ensure that they have already signed out from their iMessage. This will leave absolutely no traces of any of your information on iMessage. Here’s how to go about this procedure:
- Firstly, open the messages.
- In the menu bar which is present at the left corner of your Mac screen select on messages.
- Open the dropdown menu and select the ‘preferences’ option.
- Tap on to your iMessage account, Choose the sign out option.
Make Sure to Erase Touch Bar Data
Another important thing you need to take care of before the factory reset your MacBook Pro is to make sure that all your data is removed by simply erasing the information present on the touch bar. This can achieve easily by performing the following steps:
- The first step is to hold on to the command and R keys simultaneously along with the power button till the time the Apple logo is displayed on the screen.
- The next step is to go to the utility option and select the terminal from the macOS utility window.
- In the next step, all you need to do is type this simple command xartutil –erase-all in the terminal.
- Later, select the return option and if asked that you are sure, type a yes and select return once again.
- Lastly, select the terminal and press on the quit terminal option.
How to Reset MacBook Pro
Now that all the prerequisites are taken care of, let’s go into the actual process of resetting your MacBook. Here is the procedure on how to reset MacBook Pro:
- Firstly, press the command and R keys simultaneously and turn on your MacBook Until the logo pops up.
- From the options provided select an appropriate language.
- Next, you need to choose the disk utility option and tap on continue.
- Select Macintosh HD which is present in the sidebar followed by clicking on the erase option.
- The next step is to open the dropdown menu and select Mac OS extended followed by clicking on to erase option.
- Later, click on done and exit the portal.
- Now make sure your Mac is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open the main menu and click on to the “reinstall macOS “and press continue.
- A window will appear wear in you have to click on continue to proceed.
- Read the details of the software license agreement and click on agree.
- Next, you need to select your Mac boot disk and press on the install option.
- You might now have to wait for some time until the initial stage of installation is complete.
- Once that is done your Mac will restart and the installation process will proceed.
This completes all the steps on how to wipe MacBook pro. Your MacBook will no longer show any signs or trace of your data that was present prior to the factory resetting and since you have backed up your data you need to worry about losing it forever. Now your MacBook is as ready as a new one and you are free to hand it over to a new user if you wish to sell your MacBook.